If, after washing your face, your skin feels greasy and looks shiny, you probably have oily skin. When you have oily skin, the sebaceous glands under your hair follicles are working too hard and making more sebum than usual.
The last thing you want is skin care products to make your skin oilier. You might think that this means you shouldn’t wear sunscreen if your skin is oily, but everyone needs sunscreen. The key is to find the right products that won’t make your skin oilier and cause more pimples.
Our experts went through the sunblock market to find the best ones for oily skin. Remember that, just like any other skincare product, you may have to try a few sunblocks before finding the one that works best for your skin.
Depending on Our Decisions
Our Experts have created a list of the best sunblocks for oily skin after consulting with a team of physicians. My oily skin is a problem even our skin care experts can’t solve. After only a few hours, my skin becomes a slippery, slick mess from nearly every product that rests on it (you’re welcome for the visual).
After years of experimentation, I am confident in selecting stuff that is appropriate for oily skin, including sunscreens.
An important consideration was given to the following factors:
- We only included products on our list that had received overwhelmingly positive customer feedback. And I can personally attest to the quality of these sunscreens because I have used them myself.
- All of the products we recommend block UVA and UVB rays since we know from experience that broad-spectrum compositions offer the best sun protection.
- The products we included span a wide range in price to ensure that people of varying financial means can discover a sunscreen that works for them.
- Sun protection factor (SPF): Sunscreens with an SPF of at least 30 block around 97 percent of UVB radiation, as reported by the American Cancer Society (ACS).
These sunblocks, chosen by those who have dealt with oily, acne-prone skin, will protect your skin from the sun without causing your makeup to slide or drying out your face. And, since we anticipate your curiosity, here is the answer: Most of these items are also non-comedogenic, meaning they won’t clog your pores or trigger fresh breakouts.
1. ZO Skin Health Sunscreen + Powder Broad-Spectrum SPF 45
This powder comes in three shades: fair, medium, and dark. It has titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which block UV rays and soak up the oil for a matte finish. Don’t worry; it won’t dry out your skin, leave behind a chalky or cakey residue, or clog your pores.
- I love its consistency: It goes smoothly and provides complete coverage.
2. Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil-Free Moisturizer
This organic sunscreen has an SPF of 30, won’t give you a white cast, and is packed with anti-aging properties. The oil-free recipe has aloe vera, pomegranate extract, algae, mild moisturizers, and antioxidants that help protect the skin.
- No chemicals are essential: This cream doubles as an excellent sunblock. Its sole active ingredient, zinc oxide, blocks 100% UVA and UVB radiation at a concentration of 20%. Because it does not cause breakouts, this product is perfect. It is highly moisturizing, does not leave a white residue, is not sticky, and is completely acne-free.
3. Cotz Face Prime SPF 40
The tube may be small, but remember that a little bit goes a long way. This sunscreen for oily skin has an SPF of 40, goes on smoothly, dries matte, and helps hide the look of pores and uneven skin tone thanks to dimethicone. It works wonderfully as a base for other cosmetics, but it also improves the skin’s appearance when worn alone.
- It applies effortlessly and mixes flawlessly. Unlike many other sunblocks, this one helps keep my skin from looking shiny. Because of its primer-like properties, makeup goes on more easily, and pores appear smaller.
4. Coola Makeup Setting Sunscreen Spray SPF 30
This setting spray with SPF 30 is ideal for oily skin types and incredibly simple to use (spritz it on your face after you’ve applied your makeup and you’re done). The non-comedogenic product works all day to stop shine and protect skin from UV rays and other harmful environmental factors.
- It does a great job of setting my makeup and absorbing the oils in my face throughout the day, even though I have oily, acne-prone skin.
5. Blue Lizard SPF 50+
The best sunscreen for working out in the sun has a thin, light texture that doesn’t suffocate the skin. It also has no scent and is made with soothing chemicals, so it won’t burn or sting your eyes. It is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes (so you won’t sweat it off in seconds).
- I haven’t found a mineral sunscreen that is more transparent than this one. It is the ideal sunscreen for my skin type, leaving it feeling baby soft after application. Furthermore, I appreciate how convenient the slim tube is to carry along.
6. SkinMedica Essential Defense Mineral Shield Broad-Spectrum SPF 35
Two of the main ingredients in this sunscreen, green tea extract, and caffeine, may help reduce redness, irritation, and puffiness. As a result, the two together are ideal for people with hypersensitive skin. There are no pore-clogging oils or artificial perfumes in the formulation.
- I have sensitive skin and have difficulty finding a daily sunscreen that doesn’t irritate it. I have found the only sunscreen in this one. There is only a slight white cast, and it goes away in under a minute if I work at blending it.
7. Tower 28 SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen
This multipurpose tinted sunscreen is ideal for anyone who:
- Values a product that won’t clog their pores.
- Seeks a high degree of customizability in their coverage.
- Needs everyday sun protection for their face.
The liquid in texture, the SPF 30 solution, is offered in 14 tones.
- I have oily, sensitive skin and was afraid this would make me seem greasy. My other foundations and tinted moisturizers have been replaced with this one product.
8. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Moisturizing Face Serum Sunscreen SPF 60+
After just a few seconds, this sunscreen serum is completely absorbed into the skin, leaving it feeling light. Noncomedogenic (proven not to clog pores) and enriched with vitamin E, the recipe shields skin from the sun without making it feel oily.
- It’s noncomedogenic, doesn’t clog my pores, gives me a dewy, natural-looking glow without feeling greasy, is gentle on my sensitive skin, and doesn’t make my eyes water. In addition, it has a sun protection factor (SPF) of 60.
9. Innisfree Matte Priming UV Shield Sunscreen
This isn’t one of those sunscreens that will ball up or pill under your foundation and concealer. The SPF 37 formula works like a makeup primer to soak up oil throughout the day and even out the texture of your skin to make a smooth base for makeup that lasts longer.
- This sunscreen is great because it doesn’t leave a white cast, pill, or feel greasy. It also moistens my skin and gives it just the right amount of dewiness.
10. Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50
If you’re going to be swimming or sweating, you must use sunscreen for oily skin that doesn’t leave a greasy film and stays on for up to 80 minutes. This SPF 50 from Paula’s Choice fits both of those requirements. Use it on your face you go to the beach or your next outdoor workout.
- Since I already use a toner, an essence, and another moisturizer, I was worried that this sunscreen would be too much for my oily skin. However, I found that this sunscreen kept my skin moist enough that I didn’t need to use my regular moisturizer.
11. Bolden Brightening Moisturizer SPF 30
Anyone with oily skin and hyperpigmentation (like dark spots or melasma) will love how this sunscreen, which is made for darker skin tones, makes their skin look brighter. The light formula is made with vitamin C and SPF 30 to help fade spots and prevent new ones from showing up.
- Sunscreen often leaves a film on me. This is the first sunscreen that doesn’t change my skin color, feels great, and helps reduce hyperpigmentation.
12. Cetaphil Sheer Sunscreen SPF 50
This sunscreen from a drugstore is great for oily skin in warm weather. It feels like a light liquid and stays on for up to 80 minutes in water and sweat.
- I looked everywhere for a mineral sunscreen for my face that didn’t pill, make me look like a dried-out crypt keeper, leave a cast even on my pale skin, cost more than my rent, burn, itch, mess up my makeup, didn’t do what it said it would do and was generally considered the “holy grail.”
13. MDSolarSciences Daily Perfecting Moisturizer SPF 30
Technically, this is a sunscreen and moisturizer in one, but its shine-free, lightweight, and oil-free formula won’t make you look like a grease pit. It’s also made with niacinamide, known to control sebum production, so it won’t make your skin oily. And it does all of that while giving you some much-needed water.
- It functions as both a moisturizer and a sunscreen. It’s not greasy and has a light texture that’s easy to spread over your face.
14. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Wrinkle Defense Sunscreen SPF 30
Try this zinc-based mineral sunscreen from Dr. Dennis Gross if you have oily skin and are looking for a new one. True to its name, the formula is lightweight, oil-free, soaks in fast, and helps protect skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays with SPF 30.
- This is the best mineral sunscreen. It doesn’t leave a film, blends easily, doesn’t feel oily during the day, and doesn’t make your face feel like it has a layer of wax.
15. Fenty Skin Hydra Vizor Invisible Moisturizer SPF 30
Have you ever heard of hyaluronic acid? The popular ingredient pulls water into your skin to keep it plump and hydrated, and this formula is full of it. With niacinamide, a gold-star ingredient for lightening dark spots and reducing excess oil, this sunscreen will make your skin feel softer, smoother, and all-around healthier.
- It just blends in and melts into the skin. It also feels very moisturizing and refreshing when you put it on. It’s not thick, heavy, oily, or sticky. I was pleased to find that I liked this a lot.
16. Shiseido Clear Sunscreen SPF 50+
Put this cute little bb in your bag and use it to reapply sunscreen to your oily skin while you’re on the go. The SPF 50 stick doesn’t make a mess because it goes on clear and doesn’t leave behind any white or greasy residue. It is also water-resistant and soaks into the skin very quickly.
- I love this SPF, and the fact that it comes in a stick is great. It goes on so easily and smoothly. There’s no white cast or color, and you don’t have to blend or move around much. This is great for days when you have a lot to do.
17. Cocokind Daily SPF 32
It would be best if you used Cocokind’s daily sunscreen. It’s made with plant-based ingredients that come from nature and 21 percent zinc oxide to protect your skin without leaving a greasy film behind.
- Unfortunately, most zinc sunscreens make my skin very dry. They are greasy if they don’t dry. This one is neither, and it will change the game! I haven’t seen any white cast, but I have lighter skin than most people.
18. Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Face Shield SPF 50
Some sunscreens only protect you from UVB rays, which can cause cancer, but not from UVA rays, which can cause wrinkles. Other sunblocks don’t do much to protect you from either. But this semi-matte SPF 50 protects you from the full range of UV rays, free radicals, and pollution, which can cause wrinkles, age spots, dark spots, and cancer.
- I find that chemical sunscreens, even ones that are a mix of chemicals, irritate my face, so my only choice is a physical sunscreen. I have light skin, and this sunscreen looks great on me. It has a light shine without being greasy.
19. Ren Clean Screen Mattifying Face Sunscreen SPF 30
Best sunscreen for oily skin that is safe for reefs. The all-natural formula has rice starch, which soaks up oil and keeps shine at bay all day, and 22 percent zinc, which protects your face from UVA and UVB rays.
- I have very oily skin that is prone to acne and breakouts. This makes such a big difference between my skincare and my makeup. It goes well with other things, can be worn in layers, and doesn’t pill. The makeup looks great on top of it.
20. Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
This oily and acne-prone skin sunscreen goes on clear and dries to a velvety finish, making it look and feel like you have nothing on your face. Plus, it soaks up quickly, so there won’t be any oil slicks by noon.
- I don’t have many sunscreen options because I’m a person of color. Most of them have an ugly white cast. That’s different from what this item does. It’s so clear and smooth on your skin.